No products in the cart.
What to know about Black Friday
Today, Black Friday is a multi-channel experience. Dedicated shoppers still line up in the dark and wait on endless checkout lines on the day of, but thanks to Thanksgiving sales and extended “Black Friday weeks,” the savings opportunities are much more dispersed. Whether you are shopping in-store, online, or both, follow these tips to get the most out of your Black Friday shopping experience.
What is Black Friday?
Black Friday started in the USA and is celebrated the day after Thanksgiving. It marks the unofficial start of the holiday shopping season and almost all stores in the USA have huge sales to attract customers. People queue for hours to get their hands on bargains. It is basically the sale of the year!
Why Black Friday is called Black?
Black Friday is the name given to the shopping day after Thanksgiving. It was originally called Black Friday because the volume of shoppers created traffic accidents and sometimes even violence. In the 1950s, people began calling in sick the day after Thanksgiving to give themselves a four-day weekend.
Black Friday online shopping six important tips
- Have a plan. Know what you want, need and can afford before you get enticed by offers in front of you.
- Set a budget. Decide beforehand what you plan to spend on the Black Friday sales and stick to it.
- Do your research and find out ahead who usually offers the best price for your item. “Like” the Facebook pages and Twitter feeds of all your favourite retailers, newsletters and websites for previews of the bargains they may be offering.
- Choose a secure way to pay. Credit card payments that ask you for a supplementary one-time PIN, such as Verified by Visa and PayPal, are all good options.
- Returns policy research? Check in advance what the return policy is. Most outlets, both online and physical, will accept returns for Black Friday purchases. Check out the terms and conditions in advance to make sure that any purchases made ‘in the moment’ can be returned.
- Trust trustworthy sites only! Buy only from reputable retailers so you can be sure you will receive authentic products.